Sunday, May 28, 2006

Golden Harvest

This morning after church I was hungry and since I have no food at my house I decided to go out for breakfast. I was going to go to IHOP but then I remembered this little place in Old Town called Golden Harvest. The Golden Harvest is fun, quaint and very small. It's also very local and the kind of place where people know each other. That is all except for me because I have only been there once before.

When I got there it was packed and the only place to sit was at the counter. I ordered the turkey and swiss omelete and I had to wait quite a while for it. The wait was especially difficult because I was so close to the griddle that I could see, smell and taste everybody elses food cooking. Thankfully I had a book with me to help pass the time.

The decor at the golden harvest is what some may call ecelctic. You know, dukes of hazzard pictures, a talking Pee Wee Herman doll staring out at you, pictures from coloring books that I assume young patrons worked on while waiting for their food. It's sort of a whimiscal garage sale motif. The other diners fit the decor well and are also a little bit artsy.

When I finally got my food it was fantastic although know an hour later it is not sitting all that well. It might be from the peppers and onions but at the time it was worth it. The coffee was a little on the folgers side for my taste but overall it was a really good breakfast. I would recommend going to the Golden Harvest next time you are in Lansing and looking for breakfast but make sure you bring plenty of cash because they do not take credit cards.

2 comments:

Feltzy said...

Which church did you end up going to?

Don said...

Fetz - sounds like that dive we ate at in Byron. I love that place. Too bad the commute is 7.5 hours from here. When I'm back in GR - pretty soon now as Stephanie is teaching online - we'll do the Byron dive again and go nostalgic by visiting KCC and embarassing Ray. He's important there, you know.

By the way, I finally got around to making my mark on the blog world - donhillstudio.blogspot.com, so everybody come over - Right now.

Don