Monday, November 21, 2005

It's too darn hot


Last night as I was flipping the channels I came across a TBS special called Earth to America. It was one of the celebrity variety shows to highlight the problem of global warming. The opening Montage was George from Seinfeld dancing and singing it's too darn hot. It was totally cheesy and cracked me up. I guess he's never lived in Michigan where we sing it's too darn cold and cloudy.

The show got me to thinking about a book I have been reading called State of Fear by Michael Crichton. The book is basically an editorial against global warming disguised as a novel. He attempts to make the case that everything we know about global warming is simple fear tactics used by environmentalists to push their agenda. In the book he frequently makes fun of hollywood stars being duped into environmental causes. He couldn't have created a better example than Earth to America.

As someone who knows virtually nothing about science, I do not claim to know whether global warming is actually occurring or not. And if it is, what difference it really makes. But after reading Crichton's book it leads one to question the basic assumptions of what we think we know. If enough news reports, interests groups and celebrities say the world is getting warmer does that make it true? And if we question global warming what else are we being told that we should also question?

4 comments:

kyperman said...

Global warming IS a myth and it not proven at all. It's politically motivated and a farse. I too watched this garbage show for about 5 minutes last night, long enought to see Bill Maher make a complete idiot of himself as usual.

The temperature of the earth rises and falls in cycles, it's another part of God's creation and we humans have nothing to do with it. Not to say we can't and should not be good stewards of the earth, but God has given us ownership of this planet, the planet does not own us.

By the way, give me a call Fetz, I want to check with you about going to a Pistons game.

Jon said...

I agree with Todd about weather cycles. It always cracks me up when we hear about "record temperatures." How long have thermometers been around? A hundred, two hundred years? Even if they have been around longer, how far back do we have reliable data on temperatures. We may have 100 years of data from NYC and London, but what about Antartica, the Sahara, the Upper Peninsula, or other remote areas of God's world.

I would guess it is only in the last 10 - 20 years that reliable data has been recorded on a truly global scale. So do these "record high global temperatures" we hear about mean that the earth's average temperature this year was the hottest of the last 12 years?

I read some reliable scientific research a while back. I don't remember exact numbers but I think the following data is pretty close. The research showed that "average global temps" have gone up like .2 of degree since 1940 and the bulk of that increase was in the 40's. The scientist then showed how typical weather fluctuations result in much higher average temperature variances. The scientist then presented data that challenged the theory that global warming (if it even existed) was a negative thing for human life, animals, and vegetation. Their theory was that an increase or decrease of up to 3 or 4 degrees on a global scale was an acceptable range even for a long period of time.

You are right. It is totally about fear mongering. When the global warming thing doesn't pan out after a while, the environmental worshippers will go back to using the mantra of the iminent ice age.

By the way, I'm making my staff do more paper recycling here at my new job.

Jon said...

OK, I shouldn't have tried to quote scientific research details from memory. I was a bit off on numbers and dates, but my points and the facts remain true; the sky is NOT falling. Here is one of my sources:
http://www.hillsdale.edu/imprimis/2002/march/default.htm

Matt and Heidi said...

It's a pretty interesting tactic...if we say the same thing long enough and make the opposing side look funny, then we win. They recited the same tired stuff over and over and then made sure that anyone who might disagree with them looked like an idiot. Chances are that the more a group uses that tactic, the more they are trying to cover something...rhetorical smoke and mirrors. But that's just my opinion.

My other opinion is that we should take good care of creation. God made it. He thought it was pretty good. He charged us to care for it. I've been challenged on my creation care and am glad to be more proactive in that area these days...