Sunday, June 12, 2005

Thank you

Thank you to everyone who responded to my recent post. Your comments were very well thought out and I appreciate hearing from my own "small group". I also want to welcome Andy to the blog. Thanks for the book title. I was going to buy it the other night but I couldn't remember the title.

One thing I have learned this week is that I do have Christian community with many people already but just not in the traditional church settings. These relationships have generally been built over several years and started over some type of common bond. I think my recent frustrations are due to lack of patience in developing new friendships as well as uncertainty if there is enough of a common link to make them long-lasting.

I did get to meet with my pastor again and I shared with him what I was learning. I give him tremendous credit for allowing me to vent and be honest. His willingness to do that was a great step toward building the type of authentic relationships I am looking for. At this meeting I was able to share an idea that I have been sifting through. What if the church built small groups based on common ministry interests. If people like working with the children, then maybe that is their community. Others in the church might enjoy visiting the sick and elderly and they become a small group. Out of each ministry, groups of relationships could flow out of a common interest and passion. I realize this is not a new concept. But I propose that shifting the focus to creating small ministry teams would build community and establish new ministries within the church at the same time. Just a thought.

1 comment:

DAKOTARANGER said...

Fetz I'll be praying this is the answer you have been looking for. That you can get the support in Lansing you need. I'm thank full that your pastor listen. (which by the way is a great idea, I guess I can't have all the genious ideas)