Saturday, March 26, 2005

Waiting

Today is the Saturday before Easter and I am waiting for Easter to come. Yesterday I went to a good Friday service which I enjoyed. We sang some of the old gospel songs which I don't get to sing very often. It was good because I was able to spend some time to reflect on Christ's sacrifice.

Tomorrow I will get up early and go to church and celebrate the resurrection. I know it's a big day when my parents are driving to Lansing to attend church with me. Tomorrow afternoon I will spend with my whole family. While it most likely won't be very spiritual it will be fun.

Today however I wait. Today is no holiday. No event to celebrate and no service to attend. We don't really even have a name for this day. Why not? We have a name for Maundy Thursday but nothing for Saturday.

I wonder what it must have been like for the followers of Jesus on Saturday. They had this draining emotional day on Friday. Their leader and friend had been tortured and killed. Their hopes for reform and freedom gone right before their eyes. Jesus had told them the about the resurrection but they didn't really understand it. It must have been awful. They had to wait and they did not fully understand the end of the story.

I wait today as well. But then I realize that I already have the full story. I know how it ends. I get to experience the resurrection everyday and I don't have to wait Easter. Then why do I feel like I am still waiting?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy Saturday?

While I am not sure what the disciples and other followers of Jesus might have felt during this day of waiting, I found some insights from Church History a good read to illuminate much of what Protestantism has darkened throughout the years.

JMak

fetzer said...

So it's called Holy Saturday? You learn something new everyday. Thanks for the link. It was an interesting read.

DAKOTARANGER said...

As far as what the deciples were fealing other than the obligatory grief, I would imagine did we just waste three years of our lives. Maybe they understood what the temple being torn down and rebuilt in three days.

I'm sure they were pondering everything he said. They may have figured out that he knew what Judas was going to do. Then there is the fear aspect, what now.

The reason that you may be antispating today is the fact that everything we believe comes back to two days in antiquity. The reminder that he is who said he was. We can always reconfirm our faith but as with our copies of the Constitution or the Declaration it is a reminder of who we are.

Matt and Heidi said...

Wait no longer, friend. the day is here. Friday is passed. Saturday waiting is done. the day of life is here!! Happy Resurrection Day!!