Thursday, March 03, 2005

Going home

Last weekend I took a short road trip back to Indiana Wesleyan. It had been a long week and I wanted to get away to see my friend Jason and my other friend Jason and his wife Melanie. Over the course of the weekend a strange thought occurred to me; Marion still seems like home to me. Those of you who have been to Marion understand just how unattractive the city can be. Yet there is something magical about the college experience that makes up for the town's shortcomings.

On campus, all the buildings I used to know are mostly torn down with new, fancier buildings taking their place. I must say that I really like the McConn Coffee Shop and wish we would have it while I was a student there. It certainly beats the coffee at Cafe 37 even if they don't put a spoon in your drink. And though I do miss Williams Hall, the old student center and other popular hang outs, I have discovered my memories are not tied to the buildings but to the people and the spirit of the school.

All weekend we stayed up late talking about women we wish we would have dated and women we wish we wouldn't have dated. We also talked about our futures, told old stories and laughed and laughed. Oh yeah, we also played a little euchre and Saturday we watched some cult classic called Napoleon Dynamite with a bunch of college kids.

It was really fun and I miss that environment. It seems like the farther I am removed from college the harder it is to find the same type of community that I had at Indiana Wesleyan. I am very thankful for my friends here in Lansing but the relationships are a little more intentional and less spontaneous.

So thanks Jason, Jason and Melanie for the memories of this past weekend. I really enjoyed going home again.

No comments: