Sunday, April 13, 2008

Women Masters

So I am watching the Masters this weekend thinking about how unsuccessful Martha Burk was in her attempt to force Augusta National to allow women to join their club. If we were to have believed the media women membership was an inevitability yet here we are several years later and it is still an all boys club. Now I think that eventually they will let a woman join but I am just not sure when or who. And that's the bigger question. Who will be the first female to join the hallowed club? Here are a few potential candidates:

1. Oprah Winfrey. She would definitely bring a lot of positive attention plus she meets their standards for success and income.

2. Sandra Day O'Connor. Her resume as first woman supreme court justice is appealing and I hear she is a golfer.

3. Condaleeza Rice. As one of the highest ranking females in government she has the credentials to fit in with the rest of the members.

4. Annika Sorenstam. Considered by many to be the best woman golfer she would be considered an asset to the club that likes to be among the best.

5. Pat Summit. She is a southerner and very well respected for her accomplishments as a basketball coach.

These are just a few suggestions. I would like to hear if you have other famous, successful women that would fit in at Augusta.

2 comments:

Tameshia said...

...wouldn't they be Mistresses?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

;o)

Feltzy said...

Ok, I know that I have commented on this before, and I don't think that I'm a pig, but WHY should there be women members?

Why can't men have clubs that are just for men? Don't women have clubs that are just for women or is it merely that this is a high profile club and they don't even offer the possibility of women members?

I am all for equality but instead of wanting to be a part of Augusta, why doesn't someone like Oprah (yuck) or whoever just go and build their own golf club for women if they really need to have a place to hang out?