Thursday, December 22, 2005

Just how bad can my dating life get?

My last date was in August and lately I am feeling a little bit restless and lonely. I usually hate dating, a fact most of my ex-girlfriends will confirm, but I think I might be ready to meet someone and actually pursue a romantic relationship.

The past few weeks I have spoken with several friends on this topic and many have suggested that I should use an online dating service. I have always rejected this advice because I think using personal ads is for losers but desperate times call for desperate measures.

So tonight I finally break down and decide to join eharmony because I have heard good things about the site and because it has a moral component to it. I spent over an hour answering all 1000 questions for my personality profile only to learn at the end that they have no matches for me. Here is the actually wording from their site:

'Unfortunately, we are not able to make our profiles work for you. Our matching model could not accurately predict with whom you would be best matched. This occurs for about 20% of potential users, so 1 in 5 people simply will not benefit from our service. We hope that you understand, and we regret our inability to provide service for you at this time."

Good grief. Does it get any worse than getting rejected by a dating service? Couldn't they just just take my money and set me up with women who aren't my matches? Are there really
no women for me even in cyberspace?

When I read that I had no matches I actually burst into laughter at my unfortunate predicament. It was either that or break down into tears because even the dreaded world of internet dating can't help me find someone. I mean it's not like my hopes were that high but I at least figured they would try to set me up with somebody. I would have even settled for an unattractive, obnoxious, liberal, high school drop out. Anything would be better than nothing.

I guess the search continues and at least now I can tell all my friends that I tried their advice. Anybody have any other ideas?

11 comments:

Feltzy said...

Yeah, ahhh, I got nothin'=in terms of advice or in prospects!!!

Anonymous said...

Gee whiz, Jeff! I can't believe it! Okay, I've heard about "speed dating". Have you heard of that one? It's where you go to a coffee house, or I suppose some are in a bar, but anyway, you get like 5 minutes with each person. I'm not sure about the legistics of it. Julie Kuiper

IndyMom said...

Have you tried prayer and fasting?

Jeannie said...

Actually, I heard of that happening to a girl I know who tried eharmony. She lives in the UP. They told her the same thing. Are you into long-distance relationships? j/k

Also, my brother tried eharmony awhile back and ended up with 3 bum dates. He was very discouraged, but just got married to a great girl last Saturday from his hometown. God moves in mysterious ways, man. Just when you think you've hit the wall, life can take a surprising turn. Keep your sense of humor!!

Anonymous said...

I have a twin, but she's a real drag.

Anonymous said...

Speed Dating...love sucks anyways...praying may help aswell.

David Drury said...

Jeff - this was the most hilarious blog entry I think I've ever read. Aboslutely frickin funny! Of coure, the facts make sense with 1 of 5 not getting a match but the way you wrote this it was so funny.

You really should re-work that entry and send it off to a few magazines. You're killing me.

Whatever chick finally lands you will be getting a funny hubby.

Hey -- you could try going onto online chat rooms... But then you might just meet 50 year old fat men who go by the name "Julie16"

DD

DAKOTARANGER said...

just means that there aren't any women good enough for you

Anonymous said...

try a lovely, christian girl at summermango@hotmail.com-she's my friend in the same place as you. 34ish, likes to have fun, loves God, disciplined, nurse, 2 kids, pretty

DAKOTARANGER said...

Geez, Fetz you might as well whip out your Wendy's pickup line

Anonymous said...

Jeff, I'm friends with Dave Drury who recommended that I read your blog. I feel your pain. My eHarmony experience was full of disappointment and frustration. We should start a support group for eHarmony rejects like ourselves. Check out my blog, I have some thoughts on the whole thing: zenpenpad.blogspot.com. Keep the faith!