Friday, September 16, 2005

Men

This week my church started a new class on Wednesday that is for men only. The class is going to be centered around the book wild at heart. I was scheduled to work in nursery and planned on missing the first class but thanks to my friend Sarah who relieved me of my duties, I was able to attend. And I am glad I did. I got there late and the room was packed with about 30 guys most of whom I know or have seen around the church but a few I haven't.

I think the large number surprised the class leader but the crowd shows just how hungry men are to be a part of group with other men. The discussion Wednesday was good and we focused on our favorite movies and hobbies. While that may sound trivial it was a good icebreaker and lured our interest. One notable observation was that most of the movies we liked included a hero figure that was fighting the good cause. As men we want to fight but get caught up in the day to day of life and end up living vicariously through movies. I hope that changes.

My goal is that through this class, several new relationships will be built. I did notice already a certain amount of camaraderie among the group. Our first assignment is to read chapter 1 of the book for next week. I am going to try and blog my thoughts on the book and share what I learn along this journey. It should be a very fun and exciting ride.

2 comments:

Matt and Heidi said...

I'm encouraged for you, Jeff. There will be some great things that you'll pull out of that group/study.

DAKOTARANGER said...

That Wild at Heart book is the greatest book for men that I have ever read. Some of it would apply to women, but it helped me get my feet under me again