Wednesday, August 31, 2005

New citizens

Last night I had the opportunity to help with a citizenship class in Grand Rapids. The class is offered by City Life Church and I met the leader of the class a few months ago at a party. I offered to help and when she learned I worked in state government she asked me if I would participate during the lesson on government.

The class had roughly 10 people or so with about half from the Dominican Republic. I was the "special guest" and was interviewed at the beginning as to why I work in government and also how everyday people can get involved in the system. Then after the presentation of the material I was able to go around the room and help answer questions that came up during their small group study time. I was a little nervous that I was not going to be able to answer all their questions but thankfully I still remembered most of it from my government text books.

I was amazed at the class's eagerness to learn. They have a lot to memorize and most are starting with little or no basis of understanding. I am going to get the list of questions they had to answer and offer the test to my friends here in Lansing to see how they do on it.

It was a fun night and I enjoyed helping people learn about our country. We really do live under a unique government that does allow for the common person to participate. Sometimes I take that for granted. Talking with the students last night reminded me how privileged I am to live in America and work for the state of Michigan.

1 comment:

DAKOTARANGER said...

Fetz, I jelous I would love to do teach a class like that. I would like to see how I would do on the test.

I can't even imagine the devistation down on the coast. I agree with your prayer don't know what else I could say about it